Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Blog challenge # 11

Suzanne's challenge for this week is to:

Surprise! Write about a time you were surprised and why you do or don’t like surprises.

This last Christmas I got huge surprise. I had just gotten up about 6:45, had my coffee and was just sitting down to my computer when I saw some headlights going really slow. I thought to myself, oh the neighbors must be having some early company. Then I saw another set of headlights and I yelled to Phil, "get up, the kids are here."

My plans for the day were to wrap Christmas presents and make pies. I hate not having my kids there for Christmas, it just doesn't seem the same. I figured by wrapping presents it would at least feel a little more like Christmas.

So Phil and I are trying like crazy to get all the presents moved into our bedroom, we succeeded but no time for getting myself prettied up.

There was a knock at the door and when I opened it, I hear "Merry Christmas" by 4 of the most adorable little faces. As the door opened further, here were my 2 kids with their spouses and all of my 4 grandkids, as well as my mother. Soon to follow was my ex-mother-in-law and ex-sister-in-law. I am sure the look on my face was priceless and was captured on video (thanks Jon)

In order to get presents wrapped, Todd, Phil and I were in the bedroom wrapping as fast as we could and Zach was cutting tags with my sizzix so we could label them, not one gift got messed up (maybe I should hurry more often). It had to be one of the worst wrapping jobs in the world but no one cared.

Ally came up to me and said, "grandma your hair is kind of wild this morning." It still makes me chuckle to hear her say that.

I love surprises and I have to say, I wasn't expecting this one and I couldn't have asked for a better Christmas. The whole family together.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Such a great suprise - what a great family!!!

Suzanne said...

I remember how thrilled you were! I hope my kids turn out as great as yours did! :-)

Fink said...

I am sure you were thrilled!!! I am not sure if I like surprises or not! Hum